Monday, July 28, 2008

Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité?

I interrupt my lighter anecdotes about Swedish doctors to post an interesting piece of news from French Yahoo. The UN Committee for Human Rights has severely criticized France for its treatment of immigrants. About time! Here is the link, for those who read French:

Immigration et prisons: le Comité des droits de l'Homme de l'Onu tance la France

A large percentage of my future articles is going to deal specifically with the "problem" of immigration, and other mad administrative events that I personally witnessed in France between 2004 and 2008. France, like many other EU countries, is slowly but surely descending the same slippery slope that brought the roaring '20s crashing into the paranoid and persecution happy '30s. I believe we all know how that ended? Say it with me...

The rise of Sarkozy has been dramatic for a multitude of immigrants, legal or not, and has resulted in the creation of a climate of fear, mistrust and latent racism that I have personally come to witness. My wife in particular has been the victim for 2 straight years of this new "treatment" towards immigrants. More on this in later articles. For now, all I can say is that Sarkozy in France, Bush in the US and now Berlusconi in Italy have all adopted the same rhetoric. They preach freedom and democracy abroad, while taking it slowly but surely away "chez nous". Beware, fortress Europe is closer than we think...

No comments: